Knowing when it’s the right time to consider hospice for a loved one can be difficult. When curative treatment is no longer an option, it may be time to start thinking about how you can help your loved one feel as comfortable as possible with hospice care.
What is Hospice Care?
Hospice provides care and support for patients who are facing serious illness and for their families who care for them. Hospice care involves a team-oriented approach to expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support expressly tailored to the patient’s needs and wishes. The ultimate goal of hospice care is to provide a comfortable, pain-free environment for the patient in this new chapter of their life.
When is it Time for Hospice Care?
Many patients tend to transition to hospice when they have decided to stop curative treatments and focus on quality of life. Here are some common signs that may help you decide if hospice care is the right choice for you or a loved one:
- You’ve decided to no longer receive treatments to cure your illness
- A physician has given you a prognosis of six months or less
- You have a rapid decline in overall health despite medical treatment
- You are unable to perform daily tasks without assistance
- You experience uncontrolled pain, nausea or vomiting
- There’s an increase in your number of hospital stays and emergency room visits
- You have the desire to focus on quality of life and not quantity of years
- There are no further treatments available for your illness and you want to focus on comfort and relieving symptoms
Living with a terminal illness can take its toll on the body, and the effects can go beyond just the physical level. Common mental and emotional signs that point toward considering hospice care include:
- Unaware of sudden mood swings and actions
- Making statements or requests that are out of character
- A desire to discuss funeral plans
- Social withdrawal
- Experiencing visions or hallucinations
Contact Pallatus Health
Hospice care offers patients the opportunity to live life, relieve suffering, and promote dignity. Our team at Pallatus Health is always available and happy to discuss when and if hospice care is the right choice for you or a loved one. Please contact us at (818) 725-1025 or schedule an appointment here.